Posted by janmoeller on November 10, 2020 at 12:05 AM
Several items were reviewed and planned at the November 2020 BBAC Board Meeting held on November 8th. Though the covid restrictions continue to curtail some of our gallery hours, the arts council is as lively as ever with an increase in online presence and outdoor events.
Gallery on the Square, our council's retail outlet in Alpine, will continue it's scaled back days and hours of operation, now Thursdays through Sundays from 11 am to 5 pm. However, the hours may be extended for special events and holidays as approved by the gallery steering committee.
Member artists can still get a good deal for their annual membership fee of $25, which is due now for the upcoming year through October, 2021. You can see a posting of upcoming shows through next spring, plus any special events will be posted here in our News Blog.
Briefly, here is the schedule for the upcoming shows through the spring. Calls and exhibit dates for specific shows, prospectus links and entry forms will be posted as they come up and accessible from the BBAC Home page:
- Oct 8- Dec 1, Annual Membership show, current exhibit
- Dec 3- Jan. 10 2021 Holiday Miniature show
- January 14- Feb 21, 2021 - Dark Skies/Night Skies Show
- February 25 – March 14, 2021New Year/New Work
- March 18-April 18, 2021 - 2021 Sculptured Figures Invitational
Monthly and ongoing events open to all members are as follows:
- On the first and third Tuesdays of each month, Lori Griffin hosts a live video feed through our Facebook page. Look for upcoming info about the December Ornament live feed.
- Critique Group: This helpful group meets every 2nd Wednesday of the month at the Alpine Visitors’ Center, 106 N. 3rd St., Alpine
- Plein Air Paintouts are held on the third Saturday of each month, subject to change due to weather and holidays. Occasional fourth Sundays will also be announced as planned. Emails are sent out to the membership to confirm these sessions; however, you may also contact Judith Brueske at email@example.com or Richard Curtin at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions about any of the sessions.
- Two monthly events are currently on hold:
- The Bank/Hospital rotational exhibits are on hold beginning the week of Thanksgiving, after Richard Curtin's exhibit ends, as the indoor bank lobby is currently not open for business. However, members may still sign up for these exhibits at the gallery, or by contacting Shelly Rogers through text at 432-294-1538 or email email@example.com.
- The Museum of the Big Bend Gift Shop artist display is on hold pending reopening of the museum, which has not been determined. All artists scheduled to begin showing in April 2020 will be rescheduled when that occurs.
Gallery On the Square has made these organizational enhancements:
- In recognition of our increasing role in online environments, the following assignments have been made:
- Facebook Administrator: Amanda Calhoun
- Instagram Administrator: Sally Hickerson
- The gallery Display Committee now consists of the following members:
- Shelly Rogers (Committee Chair)
- Jean Northington
- Gregory Tegarden
Other happenings in town!
- The Alley Mural art project in Alpine is progressing.
- BBAC President Jan Moeller is doing radio announcements.
- The Hispanic Heritage Mural at Sul Ross State University has begun its underpainting. The SRSU Gallery hosts artwork by Esequiel Hernandez November 9th through November 20th.
- The Alpine Library Auction which usually takes place during Artwalk will take place online this year, with a possibility of a walk-in display to be determined.
- The Quarentini Painters group in Alpine posts two hour challenges on its Facebook group page: www.facebook.com/groups/1375602392640947.